Contact email@example.com to add your school to the growing list of college and university chapter groups.
SPT @ Georgia State
Basic goals of the group include:
- Building students' awareness of transit options on campus and around Atlanta
- Making it easier for students to choose transit
- Contributing to Georgia State's growth as a partner in building downtown
SPT @ Georgia Tech
- The purpose of SPT is to promote awareness of public transit and non-motorized transportation issues as they relate to the Georgia Tech campus or affect the Georgia Tech student population.
- We have started a dialogue between the students, the parking and transportation staff, and MARTA staff in an attempt to create programs that will heighten student awareness of MARTA as a transportation option and possibly reduce fares to a point that more students will utilize the system.
We are also focusing some attention on the bicycle pedestrian network on campus, discussing if and how students and nearby residents may use the GT or proposed PATH facilities and what facilities would be appropriate.
For those of you who have not been to Tech's campus lately, you'll notice several transit improvements. Firstly, Tech is offering monthly MARTA passes at an additional $10 discount ($30/month for students). This program will last at least through the end of the calendar year, and comes courtesy Federal CMAQ funds. We may want to think of ways to encourage Tech to continue this program, or participate more closely with Midtown, MARTA, and other external groups.
GT Parking and Transportation has also created a new Midtown Trolley Route that runs between Tech Square, Piedmont Park, and other parts of Midtown. This line should be very useful for east campus students on nights and weekends. For more information, see the Parking website.